Fleece Bedding, Cozies and Cage Accesories for Hedgehogs!
Hedgies go hog wild over our custom fleece bedding and cage accessories. Here is our shopping guide to help get you started.
C&C Cages & Fleece Flippers - A Hedgie Haven!
Hedgehogs require a fair amount of space to thrive. The absolute minimum space recommended is four square feet, which provides enough room for their litter box, wheel, eating and sleeping areas. In the wild hedgehogs can travel 4-7 miles per night. More space allows room to exercise and play, which results in happier and healthier hedgehogs. Ideal cages will be spacious, well ventilated and easy to clean. Open top enclosures should have a cover, since hedgehogs are known escape artists.
We recommend a minimum of a Small 2x3 Grid Cage with the 10" walls for safety (available at Guinea Pig Cages Store). Escape artists will also need a cover. Fleece Flippers or Cages Liners from Guinea Pig Market give you soft, absorbent bedding which is easy to clean and maintain. Fleece is the bedding of choice for hedgehog owners!
Cozies and Hideys for Hedgies!
Hedgehogs have poor eyesight and weak grasping ability, so it's best to choose floor level items to prevent falls. Hedgehogs love to snuggle and burrow, so our fleece cozies are a perfect cage addition. Add some fleece strips or Fleece Puffs to burrow in and create your own perfect hidey for your hedgie to enjoy!
Hedgie Pads, Covers and Plush Beds
Let your hedgie rest their quills on our cozy Plush Beds, and consider a Picnic Awning overhead for an added sense of privacy. We also sell Potty Pads for commonly soiled areas, or to catch drips under water bottles. For extra potty protection during hedgie "out time", consider our plush and absorbent Lap Pads.
Our selection of fun water bottles, colorful bowls and cleaning supplies will help you care for your hedgies in style.
Chew Toys are not usually recommended, since hedgie teeth do not grow like rodents and can wear down or break over time. If you do choose to offer chew toys, please only use when supervised.
When choosing playtime accessories for your hedgies, here are some considerations to keep in mind:
- Hay: Hedgies don't digest or need to eat hay, and there is a risk of blockages if they eat too much. Soft hay, however, is sometimes used for digging and nesting boxes, though some owners fear that the pointy ends of hay could potentially cause an eye injury.
- Dig Boxes: Hedgies love to explore. Make some digs boxes filled with fleece scraps, fleece puffs, fleece blankets, soft hay, grass, moss, etc.
- Toy Balls: Hedgies like balls, but ones with openings can pose a hazard since hedgies can get a jaw stuck inside. Ping pong style balls with no holes are safe.
- Boxes: Most hedgies love different shapes and sizes of boxes to play in and move around.
- Small Tubes: Hedgies love playing with toilet paper tubes. Simply cut a slit along the side so their head can't get stuck.
- Large Tubes: Many hedgies love to sleep and play in large tubes. Tubes or other items need to be large enough so the hedgie wont get stuck if it rolls up inside. For most hedgies, tubes with a 4" diameter or larger should be safe.